Wednesday

DNA provides another piece to the family puzzle

Genealogy is often referred to as a giant puzzle. A game of sorts, where piece by piece the history of your family is put together. A good analogy I believe. Those puzzle pieces are the family members: siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins..... lots and lots of cousins.  Cousins that look, speak, believe, act and seem so very different from us yet their piece fits into the picture of family. As we gather those pieces, the picture of our family becomes clearer and we find we were not all that different after all.
As family members contributed their pieces of the puzzle, our family picture began to come together. Wonderful Swedish parish and vital records showed just how those pieces fit. Yet one glaring bothersome hole in our family picture remained. My great great grandfather, father of Robert Albin Abrahamson, was missing.


The answer? DNA of course! Now I was a believer. After all, we had all seen the TV shows where abandoned babies find their birth mothers, lost siblings find each other, babies switched at birth discover the truth and on and on. I had my DNA done at 23andMe and uploaded those results to a few other companies. Ancestry.com did not take results from other companies so I tested there also.


My family tree is pretty large so I immediately recognized most of the names of those whose DNA jived with mine. I was contacted by a fellow, whose name I did not recognize who could not understand how my DNA matched with his group of family members. In fact not one name in his family tree matched my tree. The dates, the opportunities, the places were all pointing to this being the ancestral family of Robert Albin's father! I even deduced which of the family members MUST have sired my great grandfather.
Or so I thought.


My granddaughter Sophia loved puzzles as a toddler, working patiently until she proudly displayed the finished picture. Me? not so much. I guess I have always been the more impatient one, the hot-headed stubborn redhead, the one who tries to pound the piece into place.



You can see that piece of the puzzle is not a match. Close, but one of the parts necessary to fit into our family picture is missing. That piece of puzzle represents four people that share DNA with myself and also five of my cousins in the Abrahamson line. It IS part of our family picture puzzle but I just don't know where or how it fits.

YET.








1 comment:

Ranae Kallman Feick said...

Found! where it fits! The gentleman in question turned out to be a fourth cousin once removed and our common ancestor was an ancestor of Anna Abrahamson NOT her husband Robert Albin.The search goes on.