Aug 28, 2024

Death of Grandpa Kallman

 On this date in 1968 my paternal grandfather, Richard Severin Kallman, died.

I grew up in a neighborhood with a significant Jewish population. At a young age I noticed how some Jewish contemporaries had no grandparents. In fact they had no extended family at all as their parents had been Holocaust survivors. Perhaps the only survivors of their family.

My grandpa Kallman was the first of my grandparents to pass on. I was already in high school. I was almost 40 when I lost my last grandparent. I had Uncles, Aunts, cousins in the Chicago area, throughout the U.S. and in Europe, in spite of WWII, I had loads of more relatives.

I feel very fortunate/lucky/blessed, however you may describe it.



my paternal Grandfather
Richard Severin Kallman


b. October 3, 1887 Hällestad, Östergötland, Sweden
d. August 28, 1968 Chicago, Cook, Illinois,  U.S.A.



No comments: