Thursday

"Until We Reach Home"

Ever since I was a kid I have been an avid reader. The library still is one of my favorite places to hang out. I don't go as often as I did since the wonderful invention of the Kindle. How cool is it to go on the internet at 2am in your PJ's and order books from the library for pickup or to go directly to your Kindle? Are you familiar with OHFB? Sign up on facebook or via email and you get a daily listing of free (yes I said free) kindle books available. Historical novels are perhaps one of my favorites. I just have to recommend this book. I got it as a freebie but it is also available at our local library and most likely yours also.

If you want to get a real feel for what is may have been like to be a young Swedish girl who leaves home and family for a brand new life in Chicago at the turn of the 20th century, this book is a must read.

"Until We Reach Home" by  Lynn Austin  


"Life in Sweden feels like an endless winter to Elin Carlson after the deaths of her parents. When circumstances become unbearable, she determines to find a safe haven for her sisters.

So begins their journey to America . . . the land of dreams and second chances.

But as hardship becomes their constant companion, Elin, Kirsten, and Sofia question their decision to immigrate to Chicago. Will their hopes for the future ever be realized?


Only in crossing a seemingly endless ocean will they find the true meaning of Love, Faith and Home"*

A Christy Award Winner