Tuesday

Death of great grandmother Anna Karolina

On this day 92 years ago my great-grandmother died.  21 November 1925 Anna Karolina Karlsdotter Abrahamson died in Östra Frölunda, Sweden, on her farm Stommen. She was 66 years old and a mere 2 years had passed since her husband, my great-grandfather, Robert Albin had died. Her cause of death was listed as hardening of the arteries and goiter.



Sixty Six doesn't today seem that old to me (particularly since I am about the same age) but considering she had had nine children and the average life expectancy was much lower than it is today, I'd say she did pretty well for herself. My grandmother, her daughter, never talked to me about her. I never even knew her name until as an adult I started my family history journey. My great-grandfather in photos seemed a well dressed, classy, gentleman farmer. Anna, in contrast, seemed to be a country girl, plain and simple. I particularly like this photo of her as it is not a posed professional picture. She looks like a hard-working, no-nonsense, but kindly type of gal. Traits I admire. I imagine that I would have liked her.  Even though I arrived more than 25 years after her death, now that I am her age I wonder if she would have liked the person I have become? I hope so.


my great grandmother
Anna Karolina Karlsdotter Abrahamson
born: 11 February 1859 on the farm Skäremo, 
Håcksvik, Västra Götaland (Älvsborg), Sweden
died: 21 November 1925 on the farm Stommen, 
Östra Frölunda, Västra Götaland (Älvsborg), Sweden





No comments: